Monday, May 23, 2005

Urban Youth Workers Institute

Jude and I presented two talks this weekend at the UYWI conference. Our material on the "Use of public Space" and "A Missional View of HIPHOP in the Latino context" was well recieved by those who came. It was the very first time I have used Power Point on my new (1 week old) Mac Power Book. Thanks to the Tech support that they had... and the great youth and youth workers that came to our seminars!!!

I promised a book list that would help folks in their journey of navigating their faith walk in this fast world of ours... I will post this latter this afternoon... peace...

Here is a Start... and this is still in progress...

The books listed here are in response to the different people that I met at the UYWI please note the reason that each resource is mentioned and pursue those that are of interest to you:

Life in Christ references:

*Disciple by Juan Carlos Ortiz – Years before the book, “40 days of Purpose” by Rick Warren, Juan Carlos Ortiz helped orient me to becoming a true disciple and follower of Jesus Christ. It is written on a sixth grade reading level without being simplistic and is still inspirational to me even though I have read it over more than 10 times.

*The Celebration of Discipline, By Richard Foster – When I got to the place where I said OK I know the truth but give me something to do with it that will bring life into my soul the church that I was attending started working through this book as a community. It Rocked my world.

*Streams of Living Water: Celebrating the Great Traditions of Christian Faith by Richard Foster

*Loving God, by Chuck Colson

*Space for God, by Don Postema – this is where I turn when my prayer life or poetry life gets old and dry.

HipHop and Youth Culture References:

* National Geographic Vol. 196, No. 2 August 1999 “Global Culture” – The cover picture and it’s contents ate worth contemplating if we are going to be ready for tomorrows world of missions.

*Code of the Streets:Dececy, Violence, and the Moral Life of the Inner City by Elijah Anderson

*The HipHop Generation by Bakari Kitwana

*Fight the Power by Chuck D

*It’s not About a Salary: Rap, Race, and Resistance in Los Angeles by Brian Cross

*Strength to Love, by Martin Luther King -- the Power of his oratory and the wisdom of the words are often still relevant to us today. The reason why his wisdom is not taken up by this HipHop generation is because my generation only half-stepped to what he was calling us to rather than fulfilling the dream. I sometimes read some of his words over beats.

Bring it together:

*Mustard Seed Versus McWorld: Reinventing Life and Faith for the Future, by Tom Sine

*Restoring At-Risk Communities: Doing it Together and Doing it Right, by John Perkins

Other thought Provokers and Helps:

*Dedication and Leadership, by Douglass Hyde – sometimes our discipleship is not working because we are not doing what can and should be done in terms of good basic leadership development and God may be blessing us in spite of our weak organizational structures and training patterns.

*Soul Survivor by Philip Yancey – a great read for those of us who struggle with our faith a times.

No comments: