Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Why I am a Christian, Part Three

It is one thing to choose to follow Christ. It is another thing to encounter Christ in the midst of following Christ. It is quite another thing to find that God’s loving agenda is at work and that it is to conform our character more and more towards God’s redeeming love. See Hebrews 12:1-14
Having come as far as I have on the journey of faith following Jesus, I find more and more, a growing awareness of my humanness and my human flaws. And I find a growing gratitude in my heart for God’s redeeming grace to challenge, correct, redeem, and refine my character. I continue to watch my capacity to love grow, and I look back and perceive how hardhearted I was in the past, even as I know that God continues to work in me in the present. This action of God that continues to work in me and on me is more persuasive than any argument for or against faith because I know, that because of my choices and God’s work in me and my character, that I belong to God.

I am a Christian because of God’s redemptive power at work in me, for which I am eternally grateful.

No comments: