Friday, November 14, 2003

Staind Concert and other Ramblings

Well I went last night to the Hollywood Palladium to see Staind with a young friend in the neighborhood who invited me to go with him. I will be reflecting on the over all experience for some time.

Some came to the concert in every day dress... quite plainly in fact... normal Joe's and JoAnna's out to see a show...

Others were dressed in the Black attire uniform of non-conformity...
Others were dressed to impress...

There were a few T-shirt Quotes worth sharing:

Do Not Hate the Player
HATE THE GAME!!!!"


Everyone Has Issues

I was struck by the range of ages at this concert... mid-teens to late forties...

I did not like the opening bands much at all...

Stained on the other hand ... their music is about the human condition and the pain in simply trying to live life. Authentically shared and artistically delivered (if you like melodic metal/thrash as a style of music). There are moments when I felt like this was the closest some of these folks have ever experienced something like church in a good sense. A kind of confession to each other about life... missing the prayer for healing part though... maybe missing the hope for healing part.

There was also a deep sadness in the air. Many people seemed to have come to the concert hoping to feel alive for a few hours before retreating back into their various forms and levels of depression. Staind does not sing "happy fun or silly playful kind of music". It is all about looking hard at the condition of the soul.

I think some of their material could be used to stimulate deeper dialogue if we would take the time to listen and then talk to each other. If you have a friend who is already a fan... try it out... ask them to play their favorite tune for you and then to talk... honestly about it...

My Friend Freddy Loved the concert and the Mosh Pit dancing. He worked hard to get as close to the front as possible. I enjoyed watching the crowd as much as the show.

Freddy reminded me that I said I would help him learn to write poetry. We had a great time of sharing after the concert at Denny's.

Two souls were brought a lot closer together as friends through this concert and I woke up wanting to pray more, reflect on life more, and to do more of my own art... I also woke up more determined than ever to share the hope and joy I have been gifted with in this life... and to share it's source...

God Bless,
JTW

No comments: