Monday, January 27, 2003

Yesterday as part of the missions committee of our church...we got to help support a sharp youg woman in her efforts to make a difference in the lives of some highschool youth. There is an African Proverb that says, "It takes a Village to raise a Child" -- and I would add certainly more than a Radio, TV, Or PlayStation... Pastor Brad was on the mark in talking plain about the human search for significance -- making clear the difference between having a sense of "vocation" and a "profession". Few are able to make both one and the same. Still their was enough in house church language to make it hard to follow for those outside of the church. I was able to play the surmon from last week on www.killradio.org because the open minded listener could bennefit if they would digest it. I wish more people knew Brad as a person...

After church I went to Wills house to witness the amazing beat down that the Radiers recieved at the hands of the Bucks. I still believe that sports is one of America's popular religions... the pain willfully inflicted on others to be on top was painfully clear. I felt vicariously the agony of defeat. I hope that some of my friends who are more hard core fans will not find this game a trigger for depression... so few are really conscious of the power of ritual... Will spent part of the time during the game fixing his van... and had something to look back at after the day was over. It is far better in my opinion to be a "sub"-creator" (As J.R.R. Tolkien Author of "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy" would say) than a consummer or spectator.

Kim and a friend joined us...thanks for the chips :) ... Rei and Sandra showed up after the game. I was able to squeeze in a quick game of chess in with Rei. I deeply value all of our friendships...maybe more than they know. So now this is public.

Kim rolled home...The others went bowling... and I went to "Orange"... a cyber cafe' to play a little while on the internet. Got there about 9pm...got home at midnight. This point of weakness will be addressed. Steve Hoke, you reading this yet??? In part I am feeling physically sick with hay fever. I have trouble sleeping anyway... I took a sudefed, and an alieve pluss some Robetussin...so I could sleep. I owe Kim an apology because I missed his page.

This morning was about casing out a site that Dora Ramos has found to offer health care to the homeless. I anticipate a some neat possibilities coming out of the partnership between The First Nazarene Church, Clinica Oscar Romero, and LA InnerChange. Ecclesiates 4 haunts me when I think about the real core needs of people trying to survive on the streets of LA -- Friendship and respect... with this alot more of us would make it through whatever we are dealing with.

Came back to Orange to blog a little bit. Got a page from my honey... we both are feeling under the wheather... maybe this is a flu and not just Hay Fever... Stayed focuss over all on the tasks at hand... now to do some erronands...

No comments: