Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Musings from the bottom floor.

Today I went with a friend to check out Chrysalis. An agency that is all about seeking to connect folks with a job and the dignity of work. We all need to contribute to life somehow... and deserve respect for doing so...

In my short walk from their office 4 blocks to our subway I witnessed:

A crack addict craddling in his hands a few pieces of crack.
3 people with items that could be used as weapons in their hands.
Over 15 people limping, using a walker, crutches, or a wheel Chair.
Cigerettes by the box for sale.

...Plenty expressions of struggle and too few people smiling.

This past Friday the LA Mission had their Bi-annual foot washing and foot-care for the homeless. I am glad that it continues without me. I had my hands full with other responsibilities. Foot care is a great basis to meet and connect with those out on the streets and struggling. I have friends on the streets who remember me for doing something as simple as providing them with a pair of clean socks... (not as a hand out, but as a friend).



No comments: