Tuesday, April 06, 2004

This is what's Up with me. What's Up with You?

LA California is a hard place to return to when you have been down for time in a state prison. I just brought a friend home from Avanol State prison. We have found a spot to rent weekly while he looks for work. The job market is competitive. So it is hard to feel like one is not scraping the bottom of the barrell... Courage for some starts with just trying again and again and not giving up.

I have a young friend that has just transfered to Virgil middle School. In 7th grade he was a straight A student. He called me and expressed very articulately why he found the school depressing and unmotivating in every way imaginable. He wants to learn and says that he feels that the way things are set up at the school creates failure. "My teachers -- unlike the other school -- are not teaching me anything John". How does someone get to the place where he can learn... in a bad learning environment??? And what is my role in this journey???

I am on a new growth curve that is pushing me to pray and journal or more. I have to plow for more depth. There is no putting this off until latter without consequences. Keep me in your prayers.

No comments: