Saturday, October 25, 2003

Dear Friends,

Let me know if I in my Imperfections have let you down.

Conviction from God is a good thing. It does not produce shame, but rather a new level of awareness. God has been pointing out to me the number of promises that I have made to friends that I have yet to come through on. They were all made with good intentions, but some have remained outstanding – some of them for years. Yesterday, for example, I took to the printers the set of collectable trading cards that LA Street Productions has sought to make on an annual basis. I am a year over due on this.

The call of the Holy Spirit is clear. God wants us to be a people of our word -- to keep our promises. Ever so gently God has told me to shut my mouth... to either come through on the promises made, or to apologize for not being able to come through on those promises. It is also clear that my memory is incomplete so I decided to share this with you. God is faithful and kind... he longs for us to be the same.

Yes there are reasons why my energies broke down for a while. It mostly has to do with learning about walking through grief and sorrow rather than around it. (reading Jerry Sittser’s book: A Grace Disguised.) God in his gentleness waited until I could see the other side of this before deeply impressing this new insight of truth on my heart and mind — to speak more slowly and to keep my word more faithfully. Except when God is seeking to get us to humble ourselves and submit ourselves to God’s love and care; God generally does not seek to overwhelm us with our human condition.



Some random notes on how to know the difference of the voice of God and other voices...

God will press us towards insight, knowledge, understanding, and wisdom (Luke 24:13-49 is a great example of this).

Accusation that puts us on the spot and causes shame is usually not from God. In Rev. 12:10&11. Satan is called the accuser.

God will usually provide guidance with conviction. That is a positive steps towards growth in character -- who we truly are on the inside grows.

The voices of socialization seek to control us from the outside in and usually have a fear element to them. Mom, dad, or some else will be angry or not pleased with me if I do this. Socialization is necessary for groups to function, but rarely do groups have the insight to transform themselves. Ultimately in following Christ we have to learn when and how to rise above the voices of socialization, because conformity buries our uniqueness as God intended us to be.

God will speak to us in line with the history of revelation that has already been passed on to us through the scriptures -- both Old and New Testament.

The quality of our relationships usually will improve as we respond to what God reveals to us. (I John 1:5-10).

I could say more but that is a good start for reflection for now.

Peace and Grace,
JohnTW

No comments: