Thursday, October 30, 2003

Wednesday is usually our day off. After sleeping over and in a friends house in Santa Monica and having coffee in bed (Thanks!!!)... going out for an early dinner at Koo Koo Roo... and walking the Santa Monica Promenade with Jude... I tried to have an extended devotional time at a coffee shop. It felt at first rather dry and forced.

The whole of InnerChange goes through the book of Luke with any apprentices as part of our community life. Tomorrow we will reflect on Luke 2 together. (I find Luke 2 life affirming because all these people on the margins of their current society get the privilege of first hand revelation).

Since Luke didn't hit pay dirt very deeply I turned to the Journal of Francis Asbury. I've been reading through his journal slowly for the last 10 years. I also try to read any scripture that he refers to. This usually challenges my laziness. It also gets me out of the temptation of reading the passages I like to read. Today's journal entry said that he preached on I Peter 1 to about 30 people... that he felt that he wasn't very inspired today... and that latter that day he read the books Philippians, and Colossians. Nothing at first hit pay dirt. Then I realized that Philippians is a letter of gratitude Phil. 4:10-20.

I have been feeling gratitude to many in my life, but some of you wouldn't know it. That extra step of saying thanks has been missing... both in my relationships with friends and family and in my relationships with God. Insight... fuel for the soul... and so it goes...

Thanks for visiting my blog ;)
Peace and Grace
John TW

No comments: